Trail Mixes takes me back to my Adelaide days where it was my first conscious stumble upon them. Prior to that it was off my radar so if I had met Trail Mixes before, it has never been registered in my memory.
In Adelaide, these Trail Mix are EVERYWHERE and comes in ALL shapes, sizes and combinations possible! Hardest part is that they’re always greeting me at the front door when I frequent Coles or Woolies, which is like every week! Ozzies are probably one of the nations where majority are nuts about health (hello, Boost Juice) and looking good under the sun, probably due to their beach culture. But I quite enjoyed the healthy culture and outdoor lifestyle of the Ozzies. Ever since my Adelaide days, I’m just very conscious of whatever I eat and my cooking skills have refined to so much better than it ever was! Imagine going to the groceries and having to decide between TEN different types of egg; caged chicken egg, free-range, free range and organic fed, and the list goes on. Don’t get me started on the different types of pasta, NEVER ENDING. Spoilt with all these options, only the blind at heart cannot be moved to a healthier lifestyle in the land of down under.
When I returned to Malaysia, Trail Mix was another story. Super expensive and not much choice to choose from, made me cut down on munching them a lot. As expensive as they are, when the urge comes to wanting it, I’ll buy it anyways, but I’ll always opt the smaller packets coz they’re cheaper, although deep in my heart I want the bigger packets T.T
But not all bad news and sad stories are bad for you as this resulted me in opting to make my own Trail Mix. Making your own Trail Mix is healthier anyways, because you get to choose what you want to put in and omit the nuts you least like which are most times prepacked with all the other nuts you want to eat. Yes. I remember that one nut I dislike, Pine Nut.
Whatever your reason for wanting to DIY your own Trail Mix, let us begin!
To make the mix easy for you to remember and so that you can mix like a pro after this first attempt, we will divide the Mix into Four Components:
Ready? Here goes
How to Make Your Own Trail Mix:
• 1 ½ cups (handfuls) of raw nuts; almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts, macadamia, walnut
• 1 cup (handful) of raw seeds; sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
• 1 cup (handful) of unsweetened un sulphured dried fruit; figs, apricot, raisins, etc.
• ½ – 1 cup (handful) of fun stuff; dark chocolate, popped popcorn, pretzels, etc
• (Optional), ¼ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg
1. Dry roast/toast any nuts should you opt to
2. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix well
3. Store in ziplock bag or mason jar
4. Will keep up to 1 month when kept air tight
Adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Superfood and thehealthymaven
After math of the DIY Trail Mix after a work out:
2. Then Maia came over to pick some of her favourites
3. Then the hubs (Mr. Mellofellodova) came over to finish it off -.-”